My New Wooden Flow-Through Bin
Not too long ago I received yet another worm bin for testing – this time a hand-made, single-compartment flow-through bin from Wood Worm Farms. Truth be told, when I happened upon an image and description of the bin on the site a little while ago I immediately emailed them to see if they’d be interested in having me do a review. I’ve been wanting to test a small single-compartment flow-through like this for quite some time, and this one looked way too cool to pass up!
As some of you (looooong-time RWC readers) may recall, I actually own another bin from Wood Worm Farms – a 5 tray stacking bin I’ve used for a few different projects, including the “Four Worm Reproduction Experiment“.
In all honesty, it’s not a bin I’ve been all that impressed with, however. My main complaint is that the trays are far too shallow. This combined with the wood construction (more “breathable” than plastic) makes it much more difficult to keep the contents nice and moist. This shouldn’t be nearly as much of an issue with the new bin.
At first I assumed this one was a stacking bin as well (with nice deep trays), but there actually isn’t a screen on the bottom of the second level – it’s simply added when you want to increase the volume of your “single compartment”. As you can see below (with my cat for scale), it’s not a huge bin – about 1 cubic foot of vermicomposting space with both levels added, but I think this actually makes it more appealing (nice and compact – great for those who don’t have a huge amount of space).
The screen floor at the bottom also seems better quality than the tray screens in my WWF stacking system, and it even comes with a nifty little tool for loosening up the vermicompost once it’s ready. There isn’t any sort of “reservoir” attached to the bin (as there is in Worm Factory, and similar, plastic stacking bins), but it did come with a tray that sits nicely underneath the unit (you can see it in the image with my cat).
Yesterday I decided to start getting the system ready for use. I mixed some (frozen-then-thawed) food waste and living materials together and added it over top of multiple layers of newsprint laid down inside the bin.
I then mixed in some shredded cardboard and wet everything down fairly well.
I’ll likely leave the system to sit for at least a couple of days before adding any worms. As per usual, I don’t have any specific quantity of worms in mind – but I am thinking it would be nice to hit the ground running, so I’ll likely add more than I usually do.
Stay tuned! I should have another update for you sometime next week.