The Magic of Vermicompost

It’s amazing the way we seem to quickly/easily forget how much some things change over time. A prime example – and one many people can relate to, I’m sure – is our children growing up. Well, there are certainly other examples, and one that came to mind recently was the changing of one’s yard/gardens over the years. Not everyone’s yard changes, of course – many of my neighbors still have the same green, manicured (and fertilized) yards they had when we first moved into our present home (6 years ago this coming spring) – but NOT me!
:-)

A little while ago I was looking through some old digital photo folders when I came across a startling pre-vermicomposting-trench pic (featuring some family members playing croquet in the backyard). I couldn’t believe how barren everything looked! I was discussing this with my good friend Cassandra (who interviewed me for a podcast recently), and she suggested that I post the picture, along with some more recent shots.

What’s cool is that I even managed to find a recent shot that was taken from a similar angle as the croquet pic, so you can really get the full “Before/After” effect!

Needless to say, all my outdoor vermicomposting activities have had a HUGE impact on the overall fertility of my yard. What once seemed like a barren wasteland has become a verdant paradise, literally buzzing with life! I certainly won’t give all the credit to the worms (although they’ve likely done their share) – there are countless other critters involved as well.

I guess if there was a lesson here, apart from taking advantage of the “magic” of vermicompost, it would be that you should always, always, ALWAYS take LOTS of pictures (of your children, of your gardens – of everything!). You’ll have lots of fun looking back and reflecting on how far everything has come!

Just wait till I start using compost tea this year! lol
;-)

Written by Bentley on January 19th, 2011 with 15 comments.
Read more articles on Photos.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Jason
#1. January 19th, 2011, at 6:15 PM.

The pictures say more than words ever could. It seems from pictures 2 and 3 that your yard is the only one flourishing and changing for the better, well unless you like grass and trees only. :) Happy gadening!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Jason
#2. January 19th, 2011, at 6:16 PM.

Gardening*

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com James
#3. January 19th, 2011, at 9:50 PM.

Bentley,

I was stunned by the comparison pictures! It truly looks amazing!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com brenda bowen
#4. January 19th, 2011, at 11:50 PM.

Those photos give me hope. Great job. If we buy some worms will you include some seeds from those sunflowers? Keep up the good work.B2

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Paula from Illinois
#5. January 20th, 2011, at 2:59 PM.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com tyler
#6. January 20th, 2011, at 3:38 PM.

Where are your buds gonna play croquet now? haha

It’s crazy how your grass appears fluorescent now…how do you think that came about?

#7. January 20th, 2011, at 6:03 PM.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Brenda – no need to buy worms. Just get yourself some “Kong” sunflower seeds – I think they are widely available.

One thing to mention about the two pics – it’s important to note that they were taken at different times of day – so the green pic has the advantage of the sun shining directly on the yard. The other one looks a bit more gray and drab simply because the sun is going down. Definitely a huge difference still – but don’t want to give people the wrong idea here! lol

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Kator
#8. January 20th, 2011, at 10:12 PM.

Truly inspiring Bently!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Travis
#9. January 21st, 2011, at 3:18 AM.

Wow, Bentley! Thanks for sharing.. your yard is gorgeous!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Peter
#10. January 21st, 2011, at 4:01 AM.

The grass is always greener next to the vermicompost trench. :)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Maggie
#11. January 21st, 2011, at 3:12 PM.

Absolutely inspiring Bentley, Can’t wait for gardening 2011 pics and blogs to come out.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Lee In Iowa
#12. January 29th, 2011, at 12:36 AM.

UnbeLIEVable! Gorgeous! Also shows that vegetables in the front yard are FINE and can be beautiful. I mix eggplants into my flower border, put tomatoes behind my magnolia (they can get a little scraggly, so they’re hidden more), and I’ve edged a lot of my beds with everbearing strawberries. Since I never use poisons, I can snack while I garden.

But your yard–wow! ‘Way better than mine. I’ve only been adding vermicompost for a year and a half. I’d better get crackin’.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Laina
#13. January 29th, 2011, at 3:26 AM.

WOW! I’ve been trying to beef up a few of my worm bins to be the recruits for my first worm trenches, seeing these pics makes me even more excited to get the trenches started! Now I just have to wait for the 3 feet of snow to melt…Thanks again Bentley

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Richard
#14. January 29th, 2011, at 12:14 PM.

Great looking garden. I will have to learn how to make worm tea to spruce up my yard. Our spring starts at the end of June. I better start getting ready now or I will miss summer. Good work Bentley

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Larry D.
#15. February 2nd, 2011, at 12:51 PM.

Where’d the sandbox go?LOL!
I would call that pic.the field of dreams! You can tell by the clumpy grass in the wasteland pic. that the grass really took off.I would imagine the redworms are able to travel through the ground level and keep adding their magic!