Crazy Q&A Podcast – Session #2

Ok – time for yet another “Crazy Q&A” podcast. Believe it or not, I actually have one more beyond this one already finished (I’ll post it sometime next week).

I’m really enjoying these so far since it seems to be and easy/fast way to respond to your questions – while also providing a bit more of a personalized approach.

Topics I Touched On

- More on hot-weather vermicomposting
- More on flying pests and general troubleshooting
- Kitty litter vermicomposting
- Precomposting prior to vermicomposting
- Warning signs of system decline / general system maintenance
- Vermicomposting pet hair
- “Ideal” temperature and moisture content
- Other bin materials (aside from plastic)

Hope you enjoy it!

Written by Bentley on November 9th, 2012 with 8 comments.
Read more articles on Podcasts.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com BorealWormer
#1. November 9th, 2012, at 9:36 AM.

Keep them coming Bentley.

I know you have plans for a netcast feed at some point but a single page here with links to all the mp3 files might be an idea. It would make it easier for folks to get previous episodes.

#2. November 9th, 2012, at 9:55 AM.

Thanks, Mike!
Great idea re: making a podcasts page. I DID create a Podcasts category for the blog (find it in the list of categories over in the lefthand sidebar) – but an actual page with descriptions etc would be even more helpful.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Ken Erlenbusch
#3. November 10th, 2012, at 11:41 AM.

You mentioned in your Podcast # 2 to use wood for your worm composters. You also mentioned to not use treated or pressure treated wood. Would plywood be acceptable or because of the glues used to bind the plys together would boards be better? or wouldn’t it make a difference? How long would plywood last or how long would it take to rot out?

#4. November 10th, 2012, at 12:05 PM.

Plywood should be fine, Ken. Just be sure it’s fairly thick and/or well secured. I have plywood on my new VB48 and while the walls are totally fine, the lid (not secure yet) is buckling like crazy from the moisture.
Using fence boards to make a slatted bin can work well also (assuming you can find untreated fence boards).

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com John W.
#5. November 12th, 2012, at 11:44 AM.

18 questions down 172 to go :)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com bob costello
#6. November 12th, 2012, at 1:43 PM.

Bentley this might sound crazy, but what about the worm heads that don’t have pods or the such, and would like toget more info on the topics you touch upon? Or do we just relate back to your past blogs?

#7. November 12th, 2012, at 1:51 PM.

JOHN – Gee, thanks!!! Here I thought I was making progress! lol
——
BOB – That DOES sound a little “crazy”! haha
“Worm Heads” and “Pods” in the same sentence sounds like something out of a science fiction film! lol
Joking aside, the fact is, if you have a computer or smart phone that can access websites, you pretty much qualify. No “pods” necessary! (ok, I’ll stop! lol)
There is a little play button on the player in all my “podcast” blog posts – just click it and you should be able to hear me talking. You can also download the file (see the “download” button) to your computer as well. If you are able to watch videos on your computer, the player should show up. If it doesn’t (and you don’t/can’t watch videos) it might have something to do with flash not being installed – or at least some other minor technical issue that can be remedied. Try refreshing the page for starters and see if that helps.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Barb
#8. November 16th, 2012, at 7:18 PM.

I am enjoying your informative podcasts. I hope you will continue to make them. You pack a lot of information into a short amount of time, and I agree you have a great voice to listen to :-) I have a followup question about precomposting that I couldn’t find answered in your site: Can you use the precompost as bedding and let the worms process it as is or should it be mixed with bedding and/or food? Thanks in advance for your expertise.