Vermicompost Experiments Update
Just wanted to provide a super quick update on the vermcompost growth experiment front. As you may recall, I set up a couple of preliminary trials (see “Vermicompost Growth Experiments“) about a week and a half ago just to get the ball rolling.
Some pretty interesting results already, I must say! As you can see in the picture above, the Chia seeds have started sprouting and one of them clearly has a LOT more plants coming up. Surprisingly enough, it is actually the potting-soil-only treatment! Of the two vermicompost treatments, the one without the rock dust (one on left) seems to be doing better so far – while there seems to be a similar number of seedlings, leaf size on average seems to be larger in the no-rock-dust mix.
I am happy to report that my two sad looking marigolds have bounced back from their near-death experience (haha), but nothing too earth-shattering to report in general. It’s too early to say for sure, but once again the rock dust vermicompost treatment may be impeding growth a bit. The marigold in that treatment (middle one in the picture) doesn’t look as full and healthy as the vermicompost-only (left plant) and the potting-soil-only (far right plant).
Very important not to reach ANY conclusions about any of this. For one thing I want this to be an ongoing experiment – I’m really interested to see what happens over the long-haul. Also, it’s once again important to realize that there is only one rep per treatment so not exactly rigorous scientific work here!
I DID decide to start up what I’d consider to be a much more scientific trial today though. I am testing the growth of radish plants from seed. Similar to these other experiments, I am looking at potting-soil-only, 33% vermicompost + soil, and 33% special vermicompost (with rock dust and some grounds) mix + soil.
I am using a 6-cell seedling holder for each treatment so we may actually be able to do some real comparisons here.
Will keep everyone posted!