Members | Contact | About | Newsletter | VermBin Plans | Hot Topics | The Course | Archives

Red Worms Love Avocado?

Ball of Red Worms inside an avocado skin

Continuing with the ‘Red Worms Love…’ theme today, I thought it would be fun to post this picture I took fairly recently and just came across this morning in one of my worm picture folders. This was in the ‘older’ bin mentioned in the last post. When I opened up the lid I was quite surprised to see this writing mass of worms balled up in an avocado skin – I’m pretty sure there were actually quite a few more worms when I first opened the bin, but some left the scene when I went to get the camera (that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it!).

I wouldn’t have expected avocado to be a great worm food. It has a high oil content and would likely go anaerobic very easily. We eat avocado quite regularly (it IS a ‘miracle food’ after all – haha) and I always add the left-overs to my kitchen scraps collection, but I’m definitely going to start paying more attention to how the worms react to it.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has tried adding it to your bins?

By the way, if you are looking for another food that worms seem to LOVE – try cantaloupe!

Close-up of the avocado worm ball – you can see some mites feasting on some avocado up to the left

Written by Bentley on April 8th, 2008 with 6 comments.
Read more articles on Home Vermicomposting.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com P
#1. April 9th, 2008, at 6:38 PM.

I have just started up a worm bin (I am waiting on a delivery of a pound of worms). I started the bin with some leftover fishing worms (about 15 redworms) I had a couple weeks back. Well I just got home from work today and checked out how the worms were doing and I had trouble locating them until I noticed they were all balled up in an avocado husk. I came inside to check out this site (which is very helpful to a new vermicomposter) and see you had done an article on what I just saw. What a coincidence.

#2. April 9th, 2008, at 6:41 PM.

Hi P,
I moved your comment over to this post for you. No problemo.
Interesting that your worms balled up in the avocado peel too!
How did you set up your worm bin?

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com P
#3. April 9th, 2008, at 10:34 PM.

Just got my worms today. I started the bin couple weeks ago. Made it with a Rubbermaid tub with holes punched in the sides and bottom. Bedding is a mixture of shredded newspaper, leaves, and cardboard.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Allen
#4. April 14th, 2008, at 4:39 PM.

I haven’t tried the avocado (don’t eat them at our house), but I do give them a lot of grapefruit peels as well as potatoes peels. I haven’t kept good track of how the worms react to the either of them, but they do both get processed. I’ve been concerned a little about too much citrus making the bin acidic. Don’t know about the potatoes peels, I’ve been told not to feed them to chickens, but the worms don’t seem to mind them.

Allen

#5. April 15th, 2008, at 3:07 PM.

Thanks for sharing those tidbits, Allen.
I haven’t fed my worms too much of either, but would imagine the worms would like potato peels better than large quantities of the potatoes themselves (starchy materials are perfectly fine so long as you spread them around and don’t go overboard with them). Citrus fruit would definitely add acidity, but I think the peels contain oils that likely irritate worms (sensitive) skin. That being said, I’ve added plenty of orange peels to my bins over the years and have never had any negative repercussions.

B

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Cricket
#6. April 15th, 2014, at 12:15 PM.

LOVE my worm bin!
I was on vacation for three month, expected the worms would die without attention and when I returned . . . They were alive and happy

Although the worms do not eat the skins of avocados or egg shells they do congregate inside them