Red Worms Love Rotten Straw!

Red Worm habitat
This old straw bale has become something of a Red Worm apartment complex

I’ve had a bale of straw sitting on the edge of my driveway since mid summer, and not too surprisingly it has started to rot. I guess it’s also not too surprising that it has become more appealing to my resident population of outdoor Red Worms as well. This actually caught me off guard initially – one day earlier in the fall I removed some of the straw to add to my big outdoor worm bin and found myself face to face with a lot more worms than I expected to see! The straw had a lot of fungal growth in the middle but what amazed me was how dry it was – definitely NOT optimal moisture conditions for the worms!

I’ve certainly found worms underneath my bales of straw before, but never so many right in the bale itself (well ok – there are loads of them in the walls of my ‘Winter Worm Bed‘, but that’s different). Makes me wonder what would happen if I actually put some of it in an enclosed worm bin and moistened it even more. Hmmmm…

Red Worms living in straw bale

Straw is a fantastic worm composting material, but just like some of the other ‘fantastic’ materials – such as coffee grounds, fall leaves, and grass clippings – there seems to be a subtle art involved in terms of getting it to work on its own. Of course, straw mixed with manure works very well since the manure holds water much more readily and also adds plenty of nitrogen and microbes into the mix.

Anyway – all of this has reminded me that I wanted to do a ’50 Cocoon Challenge’ using straw. Obviously I can’t use this particular bale (haha), but I am hoping to get some new ones fairly soon!

On a related note, I also wanted to mention that I will be starting up my shredded cardboard ’50 Cocoon Challenge’ very soon as well. Both of these should be very interesting since no ‘regular’ food will be added.
Stay tuned!

Written by Bentley on November 3rd, 2009 with 13 comments.
Read more articles on Home Vermicomposting.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Heather
#1. November 4th, 2009, at 10:04 PM.

Awesome, because…guess what I have, yep some rotten hay (not straw, but still). I had put some around my organic garlic bulbs, only to find a 3 foot snake that I had been carrying around in my arms, amidst the hay. For some reason, I have steered clear of the rest of the bale since then ;). I am going to have to write a book on the stupid misadventures I have had organic gardening and vermi–composting this fall. It is the stuff of fantastic fiction, yet it is all true.

#2. November 5th, 2009, at 8:23 PM.

Heather – the good news is that rotten hay is probably even BETTER than rotten straw (especially if it’s something like alfalfa hay) since it will have more food value (more nitrogen).
I am an avid nature nut and animal lover, but your snake story definitely made me shudder (the idea of carrying the think around with you and not even realize it). If the ‘misadventures’ idea doesn’t pan out, you could probably write a horror! lol
;-)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Heather
#3. November 6th, 2009, at 3:23 AM.

Guess what…today I looked into the garden area I had dumped the majority of my hay (which is next to the worm trench I installed in Sept. and…found a bunch of red wigglers! Mind you, since it was nearly 80F, I searched with some trepidation that I would run into Mr. Snake again.

I am all for the snakes eating the rodents around the garden, but unknowingly having one in my arms about unhinged me, lol.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Vee
#4. November 6th, 2009, at 9:57 PM.

Bentley, after i read your straw article i remembered i left a straw bale in the back of my propery about 2 months ago, well i went straight out there and when i pulled it over on its side there were about 30 fat big worms right there, they were so beautiful i had to pick them up but i put them back after playing with them.
Do you think these were redwigglers?

#5. November 7th, 2009, at 7:02 PM.

HEATHER – that is cool! (the part about finding red worms, that is! haha)
—–
VEE – I would guess that “fat big worms” would likely be Canadian Nightcrawlers or some other big soil worm, although the fact that there were 30 of them makes me wonder. What did they look like? Were they brown/grey with a flat tail? Or were they reddish purple with a yellowish tail tip? (or something else altogether?)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Vee
#6. November 7th, 2009, at 10:09 PM.

Bentley, they had kind of a purpleish light tone, no yellowish tail and nice and round, no flat tails, nice and fat , there were babies too, i also found them under a batch of rotten grass that i left there after mowing, i don’t know what kind they are Vee

#7. November 9th, 2009, at 3:59 PM.

Interesting, Vee! Feel free to send me some photos if you ever get the chance to take some.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Vee
#8. November 10th, 2009, at 1:00 AM.

I will as soon as i can figure out how too, my sons used to do that for me and now they’re off to the military leaving mom to figure the computer out. Vee

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Anna
#9. April 25th, 2010, at 1:06 PM.

My local public radio gardening program says that you can plant tomatoes, flowers, etc. directly into rotting hay bales. If you already have a good red worm population, I bet the results would be even better than just an average bale of hay.

#10. April 25th, 2010, at 6:25 PM.

Very interesting, Anna!
I had similar plans with the straw bale walls of the winter bed I set up over at my dad’s place, but alas, some critters (squirrels, birds?) chewed the seedlings as they started to come up. I’ll have to try this again on my own property this year.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Freddi Dunleavey
#11. March 7th, 2013, at 3:10 PM.

“Raising Worms in hay bales”

We will be starting our fourth year of growing veggies in hay (not straw) bales this year (2013). We started with putting bales on the ground (one area approx. 3×10) and after treating with urea and allowing temps to drop, planted squash and potatoes. We had great success.

Our second year we decided to box in the bales and increased our area to three boxes, one was 3′ X 26′ and the other two were 3′ X 16′. Again, a successful year of squash, potatoes, & tomatoes.

Last year we added three more boxes (3′ X16′) and everything but our toms did extremely well, especially our beans and kale.

This year I am thinking of taking one of the boxes that happens to get a bit of shade and use that as one of my vermicomposting bins. I will still also try the plastic nesting bin structure as you (Bentley) have instructed.

We’ve got rotted alpaca manure and two separate batches of working household compost (with brown matter chopped and added) to also use as food.

I did a YouTube search and found one video where a fellow in VA used horse manure and straw and his attempt seemed to be going well. I’m also hoping to be able to use the bale box as an overwintering home for whatever worms survive the summer.

I’m still working my way through your course! Thanks for all of the great ideas. Wish me luck!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Chad
#12. May 20th, 2013, at 9:11 AM.

Im setting up a mushroom farm, and just got some redworms. I was anaerobically fermenting some straw as mushroom compost. When my worms and worm factory showed up, i decided against using the coir, and pulled out some of the fermented straw from the bucket, and added it to my worm bin. The worms just love it. Luckily straw is cheap. :)

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Beth
#13. December 5th, 2014, at 11:30 PM.

I’m glad to see this because I just decided to dump a bin of hay and guinea pig poop in my vermicomposting bin in my basement….As I did, I said to myself…hmm…maybe I just killed my bin but I have hope here.

If it works I”ll have a nice little circle of life in my basement…scoop from the guinea pig bin….into the vermicomposting bin…woo hoo