Red Wigglers – The Cadillac of Worms

Red Wigglers - The Cadillac of Worms

Another busy week on the vermicomposting business front I’m afraid. I’m certainly not complaining, but I really miss being able to write on the blog more often.

Anyway, this isn’t much of a post about anything – just an excuse to get something up for all y’all. One of my customers this week asked me if I was familiar with the funny worm advertising that ran during Johnny Fever’s radio program on ‘WKRP in Cincinnati” (sit-com from early 80′s). The slogan for the company was apparently “Red Wigglers – the Cadillac of Worms”.

I used to watch that show, but the fact that I was a kid at the time and didn’t yet have an interest in Red Worms helps to explain why I don’t have any recollection of that line. Anytime I hear references to composting worms anywhere these days I certainly sit up and listen.

So IS the Red Wiggler really the ‘Cadillac of Worms’?

Well, I guess that up to you to decide. It certainly is an amazing little creature!

In case you are curious, the worm pictured above (out of focus as it is – grrrr) is one of the large Red Worms I found in an aged manure pile. This particular specimen is pretty well the same size as many of my European Nightcrawlers.

Oh, and believe it or not, you can actually get a T-Shirt with the above-mentioned slogan on it. Check them out here: http://www.zazzle.com/krw_red_wigglers_the_cadillac_of_worms_shirt-235494087101854505

Speaking of which – I am actually planning to put together a little online shop for worm t-shirts etc, hopefully in time for the holiday season (so you can surprised your friends a relatives with the ultimate gift – haha). So keep your eyes peeled!

Written by Bentley on October 9th, 2008 with 8 comments.
Read more articles on Worms.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com melinda
#1. October 9th, 2008, at 11:52 PM.

what is the coin pictured with the worm just wondering
basically what is the picture on the coin of couldn’t tell from it
melinda
ps I know it is Canadian I am just not familiar with the currency

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Sherry
#2. October 10th, 2008, at 12:06 AM.

Melinda, it’s a quarter. A 25-cent coin.

#3. October 10th, 2008, at 12:25 AM.

Yep – what Sherry said.

It is exactly the same size as the US quarter, FYI.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Robyn
#4. October 10th, 2008, at 2:54 AM.

I think a good T-shirt would be “I vermicompost and I vote”…like all the other “I —— and I vote” slogans.

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Jeff
#5. October 10th, 2008, at 5:41 AM.

Hi Melinda

The picture on our .25 is a picture of a Caribou. I do think this is what you were asking! here is a link all about the Caribou.

Jeff

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Mary@SimplyForties
#6. October 10th, 2008, at 2:26 PM.

That really is a big worm. I’m glad you mentioned this was one of the “super worms”. When I saw the picture I was worried that my worms were stunted! I need to find some aged manures!

Get your own gravatar by visiting gravatar.com Henry Williams
#7. November 11th, 2008, at 11:10 PM.

Can you reccomend a place to buy red worms for a compost.
Thank you. Henry Williams

#8. November 12th, 2008, at 1:35 PM.

Hi Henry,
I realize I’m a wee bit biased, but you are more than welcome to order them from me! (see “buy worms” above)