For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Bentley (“Compost Guy”) Christie and I’ve been a crazed worm composting fanatic (or “vermiholic” if you prefer) for nearly 20 yrs now. I started this website back in 2007 with the simple intention of sharing my passion with the world. So far so good! Things have certainly progressed since the early days, though, and the website has provided me with an amazing opportunity to get to know a LOT of other “worm heads” from across North America and around the world!
Back in early October (2019) I decided to test out Mark Payne’s “Composting Rolls” concept – a major part of his overall “Vernmenting” approach. I set up 2 medium sized bins with these rolls (containing a food mix I made ahead of time), put them in a climate-controlled indoor location, then basically just left them completely alone.
I’ve opened up the bins 2 or 3 times since then, but late last week I finally decided to conduct a more thorough examination – and to catch all the action and excitement on film!
It is quite fitting that I referred to this as a (more…)
Last week I posted an update for my castings/tea alfalfa growth experiment (including a video showing the results). A short time after that I really started feeling like it was time to wrap things up. It’s been interesting for sure – but I’m keen to use my warming mat and grow lamp to start some new plants (perhaps edible this time – lol).
But there was one thing I wanted to try first!
Some years ago now, I “accidentally” discovered that (more…)
Yep – I realize it is March! The video above was actually recorded last week – it’s just taken me a little while to get around to writing a blog post update.
This was a very breathable (4 vent) bucket system set up early in November 2019. I won’t claim to have added heaps and heaps of kitchen scraps to this bin over the past few months – but it certainly hasn’t been completely neglected either.
Temps are always quite cool in my basement, but progress has still been quite good. The original “19 worms” (+ cocoons) population seems to have (more…)
Over the past few years I’ve started noticing a smaller worm consistently showing up in my (mainly outdoor) vermicomposting systems.
It has always been relatively easy to spot, and tell apart from my Red Worms. Aside from the smaller size, it has a pale body coloration, with a pronounced, creamy-yellow clitellum (obvious in worms that would be too small to be mature Reds). It has usually seemed quite inactive, regularly exibiting a funny “frozen”, curved appearance.
I never reallty found a lot of them at once. All in all, it seemed clear to me that they weren’t nearly as prolific – nor did they demonstrate remotely as much composting potential – as the Red Worms, so I didn’t give them much thought.
Until early 2020, that is!
For some strange reason (more…)
Strangely enough, it was exactly one month ago that I posted my last update for my castings & “tea” alfalfa growth experiment (funny how inspiration often strikes after nice, even time periods have passed – lol)*. Overall, the experiment hasn’t exactly been earth-shattering, but things have definitely been getting a bit more interesting over the past couple of weeks.
*NOTE: Day 38 was February 24th, 2020 when I first started putting this blog post together (and published the update video)
Just as a quick review – this is a pretty basic little look at the impact of worm castings and a liquid castings extract (I’m referring to as “tea”) on the growth of potted alfalfa plants. My other two treatments are (more…)
I feel like I’ve been living under a rock sometimes, I tell ya! I’ve written about all sorts of different “vermigardening” methods here on the blog.
Yet somehow the “Keyhole Garden” concept has remained off of my radar screen all these years…at least until RWC follower/customer Liane M recently clued me in, that is!
We had been having an interesting exchange about (more…)
I cannot believe how fast the month of January has flown by!
I did a super quick assessment on Day 7 of this new 10 worm reboot (didn’t post about that), and found zero cocoons in all tubs. Tub #1 had 7 adults and 1 juvenile (likely stuck to an adult that was added and I didn’t spot it). Tub #2 had 9 adults. Tub #3 had 6 adults.
The coarsely shredded cardboard bedding didn’t seem like it was working all that great as a sole habitat material, so I decided to add a potting soil mix – mentioned in my first castings experiment post – down at the bottom.
NOTE: The soil mix had been created by mixing a small amount of poultry feed with a safe potting soil mix (no fertilizers in it), moistening, then leaving to sit for a period of time
Today (Day 22) almost all the worms I found were down (more…)