The Worm Inn Flow-Through System
Easy to Use. Fewer Hassles. Better Compost.
Once upon a time, I made a silly “worm bin” called the “Creepy Pants Vermicomposter“. From a “successful vermicomposting” standpoint, the experiment was a bit of a dud.
But amazingly, it started the ball rolling towards bigger and (much better) things.
Robin Crispe – a regular follower of the RWC site – was somehow inspired by those moldy, “creepy” pants hanging down in my basement.
She got creative, and put her sewing talents to the test, designing a stylish, yet surprisingly-effective vermicomposting system. She called it…(no suspense here)… the Worm Inn!
Robyn eventually decided to move on to other endeavors and the Worm Inn brand is now owned by Jerry Gach, but it is still the same top quality system it has always been. In fact, Jerry has even added some improvements, such as the single zipper (vs double zipper) closure – effectively reducing the chances of flying pests getting in or out.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the Worm Inn “Mega” (see how it compares to the Regular model below) – and the wooden stand is not included (but plans to build it are)
The Problem With Most Plastic, Enclosed Worm Bins…
…Is that they just don’t have the air flow required for an “optimized” vermicomposting process!
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to convince you that you can’t vermicompost effectively with other systems. That’s absolutely NOT true!
But I have a hunch I’m not the only one who has dumped out a plastic tub system, only to find a congealed mass of sludge that looks something like this:
This is what happens in a system without sufficient air flow (not to mention drainage)! Unfortunately, these are exactly the sorts of systems that new vermicomposters typically start with.
When You Optimize the Process You Optimize the Results!
(You also optimize the experience!)
Plain and simple – it’s a lot more fun when vermicomposting works (and works well)!
With a Worm Inn you can process more of your kitchen scraps, converting them into high quality vermicompost, faster!
And let’s face it…as “fun” as the vermicomposting process can be (at the best of times), at the end of the day, most of us are after the end products…
The beautiful, rich “black gold”…
…which helps us grow BIG healthy plants
…and heaps of our own nutritious “organic” produce!
The Worm Inn – Features at a Glance
- Made of lightweight, cordura fabric – It’s breathable (we talked about the importance of aeration earlier) and durable. Highly resistant to microbial degradation.
- Handy drawstring opening/tightening system at the bottom – Makes vermicompost harvesting a breeze!
- Zippered mesh lid – This is arguably the most ingenious feature of all! Not only does it allow for even more air flow, but it also does a fantastic job of keeping flying critters out or – worst case scenario – IN!
- Two sizes – You can choose either the Regular model (~ 2 cu ft volume) or the Worm Inn “Mega” (~ 4 cu ft), depending on just how serious you want to get!
** Helpful Worm Inn Resources **
3) “What You Need to Know About Worm Inns” – I finally decided to stop procrastinating and create an in-depth guide all about Worm Inns.
Inside you will find lots of information about how to best set up and use this flow-through system. Here are some of the topics covered:
- System Specs
- Worm Inn Backstory
- Worm Species (Suited for Use in Worm Inns)
- Setting up a Worm Inn
- Feeding a Worm Inn
- Harvesting from a Worm Inn
- The Worm Inn “Acceleration Method”
Access the guide >>HERE<<
Both Worm Inns are currently available in four attractive designs. We also have some options for those interested in ordering a Worm Inn with worms. Just so you know, the system will be sent separately (before) the worms, giving you a chance to get it set up before your wigglers arrive.
If you DO plan to buy worms with these systems, please make sure you have read my ‘Fine Print’ & ‘Additional Info’ sections before ordering.
Available Designs: Plum, Brown, Camo, Port, Green
Note: The corner pieces and zip ties that come in the (Regular Worm Inn) stand kit are white – these stands (in picture) have been painted black.
>> VERY IMPORTANT – READ EVERYTHING BELOW BEFORE ORDERING <<
- All prices below INCLUDE shipping to anywhere in continental U.S.A. (If you are in Canada, you CAN buy a Worm Inn Mega from my Worm Composting Canada website).
- Again, if you chose to order a Worm Inn with worms (via Red Worm Composting website) you will receive two separate packages (the Worm Inn will arrive before the worms).
- When you order a Regular Worm Inn (or Regular Worm Inn + Worms) you will also receive the PVC stand kit (8 corner pieces and 4 zip ties) – the lengths of 3/4″ PVC can be purchased at your local hardware store (likely $5-10 vs $20+ if we had to ship them to you). To learn more about building a PVC stand, be sure to read this blog post: “Worm Inn Journal – 08-02-10“
- All Worm Inn Purchases include plans for a easy-to-build (but high quality) wooden stand. It was originally designed for the Mega, but I have since added information on creating a similar stand for the Regular model
- Worm Inn Megas no longer include the PVC stand kit – while I was impressed with how well the PVC stand supported the larger system, once I started using the wooden stand I realized there was NO comparison!
- Make sure you have selected the color you want from the drop down options. If you simply click “buy now” the default option (brown) will be selected and that is the color you will receive.
IF you plan to order a Regular Worm Inn but DON’T want the PVC stand kit, feel free to email me (before ordering) and I’ll provide you with a discount code.
*** The “Regular” Worm Inn ***
*** The Worm Inn Mega ***
People have raved about the original Worm Inn! Whether it’s the composting speed, the ease of use, the quality of the castings – or one of numerous other fantastic benefits – most users have found the system to be a breath of fresh air (often literally – lol) in comparison to using various types of plastic, enclosed bins.
Well, now the Worm Inn just got BIGGER and better! The Worm Inn Mega holds at least DOUBLE the volume of the standard model so you can expect a massive boost in processing power!
NOTE: The “Mega” no longer comes with a PVC stand “kit” – After realizing how easy it was to build the wooden stand (plans included), and how much better supported the system is using this stand, I decided to discontinue offering the PVC stand kit for Mega purchases.