I (understandably) received quite a few “burning questions” relating to the topic of cold weather vermicomposting for our recent “Win Worms Monthly” contest. Given the time of year (i.e. how relevant this topic is), I thought it might be fun to turn this into my very first (unofficial) podcast.
So I quickly put together a little background info, organized the questions, and started recording!
The recording is about 45 minutes (I have no idea why it says “7:48” – but it is definitely a lot longer than that).
If you would like a downloadable version (so you can listen on a portable player, smartphone etc) just let me know and I’ll make that available (NOW AVAILABLE!!). Just so you know, the file is about 30 MB.
Some of the topics touched on:
– Keeping worms ALIVE versus keeping an ACTIVE vermicomposting system.
– How to protect a larger backyard bin (eg. typical backyard composter) from the cold.
– Temperature tolerance of different species of composting worms.
– Shipping worms during cold weather
– Keeping smaller systems warm (or at least preventing them from freezing)
…and much more!
I almost forgot…
Be sure to also check out the Winter Worm Composting section on the HOT TOPICS page.