I’ve had a number of requests for a ‘Creepy Pants Vermicomposter‘ update in the last few weeks, and it just so happens that I needed to take them down anyway.
My mother-in-law is coming to stay with us for a few weeks – and while she is truly a wonderful woman – I just don’t know how much she’ll appreciate the moldy, creepy pants hanging in the basement whenever she heads down to do laundry. Aside from that, they’ve actually been getting in my way and attracting fungus gnats, so I figured it was a good time to pull the plug on the experiment.
Unfortunately, like my ‘Four Worm Experiment‘, the pants suffered from some neglect, so the contents were quite dry. Nevertheless, I still managed to find a lot of worms and some fairly well-processed materials in the pant legs.
I still really like the pant-leg-vermicomposter concept, and think it offers a really inexpensive way to create your own flow-through bin. Finding a good location for it is definitely an important consideration however.
Down in my cramped basement office, I ended up finding them really annoying since they constantly seemed to be in the way. Aside from that, it wasn’t exactly the most eye-pleasing worm bin I’ve ever owned. The staining and mold on the pants were pretty unappealing to say the least.
If I lived out in the country and had a few trees on my property, I’d definitely try this again – I think this would be a fun outdoor project. I may also try a smaller funnel vermicomposter indoors again – perhaps with the leg from a synthetic pair of pants.
Now that my creepy pants experiment is over I will definitely focus on getting the video finished as well – hopefully it will provide a decent overview of the concept, and inspire others to give it a try.
Here are the previous posts in this series, in case you haven’t been following along:** It's a Great Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $30 on the CG "Ultimate" Package - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **