I finally got around to adding some food to my experimental bins today (they have been sitting for just over 2 weeks now). Before doing so, I performed a little check-up on the contents of each bin.
They each still contain two adult Euros, and the worms seem to be healthy for the most part. The one potential exception is a worm in one of the rock dust bins that isn’t looking quite as good. I’m not a worm vet, though, so we’ll have to wait to see what happens (if anything) there.
I counted all the cocoons I could find in the bins.
Rock Dust Bin #1 – 4 cocoons
Rock Dust Bin #2 – 5 cocoons
Control #1 – 9 cocoons
Control #2 – 7 cocoons
Pretty interesting – but I’m certainly not going to jump to any conclusions just yet!
The “food” being used for this experiment is mashed apple waste mixed with shredded paper.
I added 50 g of it to each of the four bins. A cap-full of rock dust was mixed with the food before adding it to each of the two rock dust treatment bins.
Given the small size of these systems, I’ve decided that I won’t be adding rock dust every single time. The amount that is in there now should act as a buffer for multiple feedings.
It will be interesting to see how things develop from here.
Previous Posts in Series
More Fun with Rock Dust