As you might guess, I had intended to get this update posted on Friday, when I had a look at the Sun Chips bag in my big backyard worm bin. It had been 15 days since the bag was added to that system (see “Sun Chip Bag Vermicomposting” for my first installment), so I thought it might be interesting to see if anything had happened yet.
It took me quite some time to even locate the bag – I was starting to wonder if the worms were a lot more effective than I’d given them credit for! Well, I guess you could still say the worms in this bin are being “effective”, since they had effectively lowered the level of material (including the bag) a fair bit since I put it in there. After some digging I did finally manage to locate it, and couldn’t help but feel a slight twinge of disappointment to see the bright vibrant colors still essentially unchanged, and hear that the bag was still ridiculously loud when handled.
Upon closer inspection I did however notice that something seems to have started colonizing the surface of the bag. I suspect it is some sort of fungi, but it is hard to say for sure.
I think I will let the bag sit undisturbed for a month or so before checking on it again since it looks like we are in for a pretty lengthy experiment!
Will be interested to find out if others have been checking on their bags, and if so, what (if any) changes have been observed thus far!