I checked on my “Tiny Tubs” today.
Here are my cocoon counts:
Bin #1 – 13 cocoons
Bin #2 – 0 cocoons (remember, my worms disappeared early on and I decided to keep it as a comparison bin)
Bin #3 – 15 cocoons
Temperature down in the basement is still around 17 C (~63 F).
The adult Red Worms in the two worm bins are still looking big and healthy. No sign of juveniles yet.
Food levels were looking pretty low, so I added some frozen kale to all 3 tubs.
It’s important to note that I am almost certainly missing some cocoons. The idea here is to keep this experiment going, and make it as easy as possible to perform my check-ups (that goes for all of you participating as well), NOT to get bogged down for hours trying to sort through every last fragment of worm bin habitat. Over the long haul, the true population growth will become apparent anyway, since it is very easy to spot worms (especially adults) in these tiny bins.
The fact that the cocoon counts from my two active bins are pretty close at least seems to indicate that my search efforts are quite consistent. And when it comes down to it, I doubt I am missing more than 2 or 3 cocoons.
Would love to know if any participants have juveniles yet!
Be sure to leave your comments below.