Busy time of year, but I finally have a bit of down-time so I thought it might be good to get some updates posted – starting with one for the vermicomposting planter project.
I must say that it was so much nicer having the planter basically ready to go this year – all I had to do was add plants. That’s not to say I didn’t have a late start, but at least mid-June is a lot better than late-July! lol
So what am I growing, you ask?
Well, the only suggestion I received was to try pepper plants, so I’ve dedicated one of the beds to them (need to check the varieties again, but I know there is at least one jalapeno plant). On the other side some sort of cucurbit volunteer plant popped up so I decided to just leave that. I also planted a vining zucchini (have only grown bush varieties before so I’m interested to try this out) and a handful of swiss chard plants.
Things are coming along very nicely in the composting compartment – everything I put in there seems to be getting processed quite rapidly, and there is a nice healthy population of active Red Worms. The level of material is a fair bit lower than in the planter compartments and some soil was starting to fall in, so I decided to add some temporary barriers (using old pieces of wood and cardboard).
Can’t wait to see how things grow in the weeks ahead.