It always seems to be at this time of year, when food waste supplies are getting used up very quickly, and an abundance of greenery is sprouting up in the gardens (much of it “planted” by Mother Nature – lol) that I tend to think a lot more about using weeds as worm food.
This is a topic I have written about multiple times on the blog (“Vermicomposting Weeds – Revisited” is a good one to refer to since it links to previous posts on the topic as well), but by golly it still feels like something I haven’t pursued to the extent it deserves!
I always have so many weeds, just begging to be picked (the spread of comfrey in my yard, alone, is very impressive – although my wife doesn’t seem quite as wowed as myself 😉 ) – so it’s nice to have even more of an “excuse” to put in weeding time on a more regular basis.
In the past I have tried different optimization strategies such as freezing and chopping. This time around I’ve decided to try “cooking” them!
This morning I was able to collect enough weeds in about 15 minutes to mostly-fill a good sized clear-ish plastic bag (originally containing mulch). Next, I sprinkled in a bit of water – I don’t want to end up with a foul swamp, but I’m pretty sure moist conditions will at least help to move the breakdown process along.
I then loosely closed up the bag and put it in my black plastic wheelbarrow where it will receive full sun for most of the day.
I will keep an eye on the weeds over the next few days – likely, starting up some new bags before this one is “harvested”. I plan to test the finished material as a food in the vermicomposting planter as well as in one or two indoor systems.
Should be interesting!