Ok, so here we are six days after I added 15 lb of bulky food waste to my experimental Worm Inn, and the level had gone down enough to warrant adding even more! So, I did just that – this time it was only 10 lb (haha). As you will see in the video, it almost didn’t even fit – but my trusty hand rake came to the rescue.
I have little doubt that I am NOT going to be able to simply continue processing wastes at this rate – there are a lot of resistant materials going in there, and I really haven’t done enough with them to ensure that they’ll end up broken down any time soon.
What I would like to start doing at some point is really focus on making the materials a lot more worm-friendly before adding them. I’m not sure I’ll go so far as to blend them all, but I will likely try to macerate them by hand as much as possible (after putting them in my deep freezer for a few days and letting them thaw out).
Anyway, this has been a lot of fun so far. Needless to say, I am blown away by the fact that the system has handled so much waste being added to it (without creating a horrible stench, killing off my worms etc etc).