As touched on in my recent “RWC News” post, things have continued on fairly slowly with my Worm Inn Mega system.
The total amount of food waste added since Dec 4th (last update) – including the amount added that day – is only 13.82 kg (30.47 lb). As you might guess this is definitely less than a system like this is capable of processing. It is also NOT all the compostable wastes we’re producing (the amount I had planned to add).
I’m ok with this, though. Since we started with a pretty small worm population (relatively speaking), it probably wasn’t a bad idea to ramp things up fairly slowly. I’m happy to report that the worm population seems to be doing very well these days! Everywhere I dig I find loads and loads of Red Worms (am assuming all the Euros are down closer to the bottom).
The overall level of material in the system has basically remained the same (or gone down). I’ve been very impressed with the amount of bedding that’s been getting processed – in some ways I wish I had an easy way to track the total quantity, since my hunch is that it will add up to substantial amount over time.
The stability of the system has been holding up beautifully as well (don’t let the wonky angle of that last photo fool you – haha). Me being (paranoid) me, I DID add a 3rd zip tie to each corner just to be safe.
Moving forward, I definitely DO plan on getting back to my original goal of processing all our household scraps – and just generally checking up on the system more often. Nevertheless, I’m still quite happy with the way things have come together thus far! Can’t wait to see what sort of monster heap of vermicompost this thing spits out in a few months!
Stay tuned!** Now is the Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $40 on CG Ultimate PRO Bundle - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **