I like to think I’m pretty serious about my vermicomposting efforts.
(Yes, that IS indeed an axe in the background. lol)
Today I got a chance to re-enforce that feeling by creating a fun “worm food tool” I’ve had in the back of my mind for quite some time. Right off the bat, let me point out that this was actually an idea I got from someone else – sadly, I can’t remember who (my apologies to you if you are reading this)! The basic idea is as follows – chop up food wastes (etc) using a high-powered drill with a paint stirrer attachment. Of course, in order to keep this from getting really messy, you also need some sort of enclosed vessel. I thought a 5 gal bucket with lid seemed like a good choice (especially since I happen to have a lot of them).
[NOTE: Until recently, it was the lack of “high-powered drill” that was my main hang-up (since I already had the paint stirring blade). My rechargeale Black & Decker “weekend warrior” special just didn’t cut it I’m afraid. I decided to purchase a new drill this week since my dad and I have started my new VermBin48 (more details on that SOON!) – whoohoo!]
All I did was drill a hole in the center of the lid, insert the stirrer then attach it to the drill.
For “food” materials I used a couple of chopped up zucchinis plus a bag of frozen-then-thawed food waste.
After some initial struggles (involving a spinning bucket – lol), I kinda got the hang of it and the process started working for me. As long as I didn’t bury the blade too deep in the waste materials I was able to cut a lot of it up quite well.
There were some big chunks left, but all in all I was quite pleased with the results! What I am thinking I might do is actually cut some pieces out of the stirring attachment (with a hacksaw) so it works better as a cutting blade. I may also need to come up with a better container since I ended up busting through the side of my bucket!
I will definitely be playing around with this approach (and tweaking my methods) this fall, and will be sure to post some more updates!