Today I decided to check on the little clump of wool sitting in my VB48 system. I was curious to see how extensively the worms had moved into the material (if at all) – and whether or not they seemed to be pulling the wool into the surrounding habitat.
I didn’t discover anything too earth-shattering, I’m afraid. It did look as though the material has been pulled into the surrounding (aged-manure) habitat, and that some worms had set up shop in the lower reaches of the wool clump – but there certainly hasn’t been any sort of serious vermi-invasion of the material (as seems to be the case with Natura Eco-Cloths).
It is important to point out, though, that I haven’t done anything to try and make the wool more inviting. I can’t help but wonder what regular water-spritzing or (even better) actually putting some food wastes in the material would do. My hunch is that we’d see a lot more worms moving in!
The “Eco-Cloth” experiment took place in a well-moistened, enclosed worm bin, so it’s tough to make a real comparison. As such, I think my next step should be to add the wool to one of my enclosed plastic bins to see if that makes a difference.
I’ll keep you posted!** It's a Great Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $30 on the CG "Ultimate" Package - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **