I’m happy to report that I finally got my “vermi-fertilization system” garden up and running this week. I started the process on Monday, when I removed most of the material. As mentioned in another post, I’ve been using it as a storage bin for worm-rich aged manure, prior to the worms being harvested for customers.
The garden itself has been serving as my son’s temporary construction site.
I left some wormy stuff down in the bottom of the bin so I would have a “seed” culture of composting worms.
On top of the worm-rich manure I added a layer of shredded drink tray cardboard, some frozen food waste, and a cover layer of aged manure (most of the worms harvested from it already).
Yesterday, I planted four “Grape Cluster” tomatoes in the bed, and two more just outside the bed (one on each of two sides).
I’ll continue to add food waste and aged manure to the bin – and perhaps some of my chick starter feed as well.
Should be interesting to see how the plants do this year!