Hi gang! Sorry things have been so quiet as of late. It’s been…well…an interesting couple of weeks, to say the least. I have a sneaking suspicion that the next few days will end up being even MORE interesting (once our little bundle of joy stops procrastinating! haha).
One very interesting, and SURPRISING, event occurred late last week – and that was the arrival of “Green Bins” in my neighborhood! For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept, Green Bins are like recycling bins, but instead of serving as a collection for recyclable goods, they are designed for taking away everyone’s compostable “wastes”.
Strangely enough, while everyone else in my neighborhood received only one of these bins, I somehow ended up with TWO! Are they trying to rub it in, or what?
As some of you might imagine, I have mixed feelings about this program. Let’s look at some of the pros and cons as I see them:
PROS of the Green Bin Program
- Great solution for all the compostable – but NOT composter-friendly – materials like meats, fat, oils, poop etc
- A great option for those people who will never in a million years start composting
- Nice, easy “green” option for times when you are feeling lazy, or overwhelmed with organic waste
Cons of the Green Bin Program
- Results in a LOT more people never bothering to learn about composting
- Gives people the WRONG idea about organic wastes and composting (when managed poorly these bins are NASTY)
- Just another mechanized governmental service that only “serves” to create more of a separation between us and our “wastes” – we can go on about all the “Green” benefits until we are blue in the face, but at the end of the day it’s still a garbage truck showing up to pick up our trash!
Nevertheless, I decided to humor them by being a “responsible citizen” (for once – haha) this week. I put out my bin on garbage day, and couldn’t help but feel just a hint of superiority as I surveyed the neighborhood, only to see two or three other green bins out for pick-up. That’s RIGHT – who’s da GREEN MAN in this neighborhood?!?! Whoo!!
Only later did I discover that they weren’t actually doing their first pick-up until next week.
@!@$#!!!!**Want Even More Fun With Worms? Sign Up for the RWC E-mail List Today!**