Not too long ago I wrote about Mark Paine’s “Vernmenting” method, and mentioned that one of the things that really caught my attention was his ingenious approach for making air vents with plastic bottle tops.
Last week, armed with a few plastic bottles I had managed to round up, I decided to create a new worm bin using a bucket with these vents in it (watch the video above to learn all about that).
As is often the case with DIY projects, my workmanship was pretty shoddy – lol – but I know my vents will get better and better over time (and be easier/faster to make).
I feel like this could be a potential “game changer” for home worm bins (and for creating worm food mixes) since flying pest invasion can be such a common hassle – sadly leading many people to stop vermicomposting – with more typical ventilation approaches. If installed properly, the bottle top vents should let plenty of air in while keeping flying pests out!
I’m not as convinced my fabric lid (held in place with an elastic) is quite as secure – but for this particular bin I’m not all that worried.
Can’t wait to start adding these vents to more systems – and I’m already starting to tweak my vent-creation approach a bit. Will be sure to post a short update video fairly soon.
Here is a link to Mark’s video featuring how he makes the vents (may be other ones – but this is one I learned about them from):
Vernmenting Bin Update
** It's a Great Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $30 on the CG "Ultimate" Package - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **