I just wanted to post a quick update on the coffee grounds vermicomposting front. As you can probably tell from the picture, I’ve decided to discontinue the experiment.
Shortly after adding everything to my BOM bin, I reached the conclusion that the worms were not thriving in the grounds-cardboard system. Aside from looking rather unhealthy (thin and off-color), most of them seemed to be congregating in zones where there was still some of the compost material that came with them when they were introduced to the stacking bin.
I won’t say that I am 100% convinced that Red Worms can’t thrive in a coffee grounds & bedding system, but I’m certainly not 100% convinced that they CAN either. It seems that I’m making very little progress in terms of getting to the bottom of the “coffee grounds conundrum”. This is a strange, unpredictable material indeed!
Anyway, I’ve started adding food waste to the system and the worms seem to be doing better so I think I should be able to re-establish a certain degree of “balance” before long.