[NOTE: I meant to get this up on May 15th – and have back-dated it accordingly]
I decided I might as well write my first update post for my fun little coffee cup experiment. Before I do that I should mention that my first post should have been (and now has been changed to) “Day 0”, not “Day 1”. Not exactly critically important stuff I know – but easy enough to correct, so I decided to do so!
As you can see from the photo above, after 6 days nothing looks all that different from when we started. Upon closer examination however you can see that we are in fact making some progress.
The underside of the coffee cup is clearly starting to break down. You can see a decent amount of worm ‘turd’ (aka castings) as well.
I was surprised to find quite a few worms not only under the cup (next picture down), but actually in the cup and in the rim of the cup.
Nice little collection of worms below. What’s interesting is that there were far more worms below the coffee cup than below the watermelon rinds! As you can see, I have a VERY healthy springtail population! In fact, all my bins have massive populations of these little creatures! Check out the next pic for an extreme close-up!
Watermelon rind – up close and personal. I was actually really impressed with my close-up abilities of my digital camera! You can see microbial colonization of the melon flesh (dark dots), springtails, and even a mite. Pretty cool!
Anyway, should be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few weeks!
Previous Posts in the Series:
Coffee Cup Challenge – Day 0