Things have continued to cruise along with my Worm Inn Mega system.
I have ramped up my feeding – eg. I added more than 18 lb of kitchen scraps just this week – yet the level just keeps dropping back down. Our total is now just over 130 lb.
I know that probably doesn’t sound all that impressive – but if you consider the weight/volume of the aged manure and bedding that has also gone into the system (definitely starting to think I should measure these moving forward), it’s none too shabby!
With my last feeding I added some of the aged grass clippings I recently acquired. The results weren’t quite as impressive as I expected.
Initially, the worms didn’t seem interested in moving into the material at all (certainly NOTHING like the results of adding aged manure). Just served to remind me that this can be a somewhat tricky material to work with in general.
I will more than likely be using the rest of my clippings as a cover material for outdoor beds – there it will serve as an excellent cold-weather insulator and gradual food source.
On a related front…late last week I built a wooden stand for one of my regular Worm Inns. It was based on the same design as Blake Ketchum’s Worm Inn Mega stand (with somewhat different dimensions of course). I’ll be sure to write about that next week. I will also add the info to the Mega Stand PDF.