Everything has continued to move along beautifully with my Worm Inn Mega system!
I am happy to report that I have been adding ALL the compostable food scraps we are producing (not to mention loads of paper-waste bedding materials), as per my original plan. Not too surprisingly, the system seems to be handling everything just fine.
In my Jan 16th update I shared that I had only added about 30 lb of food waste up to that point (about 2-3 months after starting the system). Well, just to provide you with some perspective – since the time of that (Jan 16th) update – i.e. in one months time – I have already added ~ 42 more pounds of waste! So yeah, it’s safe to say I’ve picked up the pace a bit. lol
Today’s feeding was a bit different. I actually created something more like one of my “homemade manure” mixes. I happened to have some beautiful, wet paper pulp on hand (will likely be writing more about that fairly soon), along with some unused rabbit feed pellets (originally purchased to try out as a worm food), so I mixed some of those materials in as well. I also added a few scoops of rock dust for good measure.
I started monitoring temps in the Mega recently. They seem to be decent – hovering just over 20 c (68 F) for the most part (my basement is definitely cooler than that) – but I wouldn’t mind seeing them go up a bit. This was part of the motivation for adding the rabbit food.
One other difference today was that I didn’t simply dump the food on top of the previous bedding layer and then add more bedding. One of the risks of doing that over and over again is that you end up with multiple flattened bedding layers, which can then impede air flow. Instead I spent some time digging around with a hand rake so as to loosen up the previous bedding layers – and then I essentially just created depressions and buried to new food with older material (bedding, vermicompost etc). On top of that I then added a nice thick layer of brand new, dry bedding.
Believe it or not, I am actually now getting up towards the top of the system (obviously a thick, fluffy layer of dry bedding will help with that!) – so I may end up starting the harvesting process a bit sooner than anticipated (which doesn’t bother me one bit).
Am very interested to see what the material at the bottom looks like (and to see how many Euros I can find down there! lol)!