It is crazy to think that it’s been almost 4 MONTHS since my last Worm Inn update! Surprisingly, this was not for lack of important happenings on the Worm Inn front – I guess my brain just hasn’t really been in “Worm Inn mode”.
At least not until now!
Here is a quick run down of what’s been (and what IS) happening:
1) Last fall I finally got around to building a wooden stand for one of my “Regular” Worm Inns, based on the Blake Ketchum’s great DIY Mega Stand. and started up the system you see pictured to the right.
2) In November I ended up taking down my Worm Inn Mega system to help free up some space in the basement. We were having some renovations done, and some of the work was down in the bathroom where it had been sitting.
3) I recently started putting together a comprehensive (looooong overdue) Worm Inn guide – this should be (freely) available very soon.
4) On Friday I finally compiled the information/pictures for the Regular (wooden) Worm Inn stand and updated the Wooden stand plans guide (available to all Worm Inn customers).
5) Also on Friday, I “officially” phased out the availability of the PVC stand kit for Worm Inn Mega purchases (still comes standard with the Regular Inn – unless you request otherwise). All Mega pricing has been adjusted accordingly.
Getting back to my (Regular) green Worm Inn…
I’ll admit that came very close to neglecting it for “too long” during the past couple of months. As any other absent-minded Worm Inn owners will likely know, this NOT a system that handles neglect all that well (that’s one of the few scenarios where a plastic, enclosed tub system will be more successful)!
When I finally did check up on it, the contents were almost completely dried out. Luckily there was still a semi-moist zone down in the bottom, where I found lots of tiny dehydrated Red Worms. I mixed everything up and watered the system before adding more (frozen-then-thawed) food waste, “living material“, and fresh bedding.
I’m happy to report that everything seems to be bouncing back nicely, and that I have plans to get back into much more of a regular feeding (and blog update) schedule. Hopefully I’ll even be able to get the Mega back up and running before too long – but we’ll have to wait and see.