Things have been coming along nicely in my outdoor Worm Inn Mega system.
I wrote about adding a big batch of thatch mixed with food waste in my last update. The worms ended up taking longer to move into it than I predicted – but that’s the beauty of Worm Inns! As long as the worms have some safe habitat to hang out in, you can easily get away with “overfeeding”.
Of course they eventually did move in, and had processed quite a bit of the food material by the time I checked on the system yesterday.
With everything looking good, I figured I should add a new batch of food yesterday as well. This time I didn’t bother mixing in any thatch. I simply dumped a bag of frozen-then-thawed food waste on top of the upper hay layer…
…then added (more…)
Last week I dedicated a lot of time to the Hay Bale Vermigardening project (which helps to explain was the blog was so quiet). As is usually the case, I really underestimated the amount of work these beds were going to require! My recommendation for most of you reading – especially if you are just getting started with vermigardening and/or if you have any sort of physical/health limitations – would be to start with something MUCH smaller.
That being said, I’m happy I decided to go all out since things are only going to get more interesting from here!
Rather than jumping back and forth between work on each of the two beds (as I did initially), I decided to (more…)