Yesterday, while looking through some of the past worm harvesting blog posts (listed on Hot Topics page) I came across “John’s Passive Worm Harvester”, and it reminded me that this was an approach I had wanted to try out for myself.
With my WF-360 system now dismantled, I figured the empty trays might work really well as passive harvesters (aka “worm traps”).
I also happened to still have a fair bit of my latest homemade manure batch. I decided to mix this with some very well-aged horse manure and then fill the trays with it. I also soaked down the material to make it as appealing as possible.
I decided to place my traps in 3 different outdoor locations. My first spot was in the middle of a windrow bed very rich in coffee grounds. First, I moved the upper layers of material aside – so as to ensure that the trap would be down where the worms were hanging out – and then loosened up the old grounds a bit with a garden fork.
I then set in the trap (with lid) and covered up with old grass and straw so as to make sure that temps inside remain warm, but not hot (we are still experiencing sunny, warm days).
I put the next trap in the raised bed I’ve previously used as my winter vermicomposting system. In this case, the thick layer of old straw will be more important for keeping the contents of the tray moist (since no lid) than for protecting from overheating.
I decided to put my last trap directly in front of one of my backyard composters (which has a healthy population of composting worms in and around it).
I will likely check on the traps early next week. Should be interesting to see how many worms have moved in!** It's a Great Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $30 on the CG "Ultimate" Package - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **