Waste Optimization Wrap-Up

I’ve decided to wrap-up my “Waste Optimization Challenge” experiment today after checking on the system (yesterday) and finding no evidence of the carrots that were added. Unfortunately, I haven’t been closely watching the system this past week, so I can’t say for sure exactly what day the last of the carrots finally disappeared, but I suspect it was within the last few days.

All in all, I had fun with this one. The results weren’t earth-shattering by any means, but it was still very interesting to see how the different treatments compared to one another. As alluded to in another post, for my follow-up to this one I’d like to see how waste processing in a bin with no springtails compares to a bin with lots of springtails. I think I will use only carrot peelings – some that are fresh and some that were previously frozen then thawed.

Should be fun!
8)


Day 0 (Feb 10th, 2012)


Day 6


Day 12


Day 15


Day 17


Day 19


Day 25 (Mar 6th, 2012)


Previous Posts in this Series
The Waste Optimization Challenge
Waste Optimization Update
Waste Optimization – Day 6
Waste Optimization – Day 12
Waste Optimization – Day 17

Previous Post

Euros vs Reds-3-8-12

Next Post

“Worm Pee”?

Comments

  1. It’s always interesting to look at a bin that hasn’t been mixed or “fluffed”. I have a 2 bucket worm system that I snuck under a desk at work. I have added paper, banana peels, apple cores, and coffee grounds from time to time. Normally, I don’t even look at the bin for a month at a time. When I peeked the other day I saw a bin that looks like yours, beautiful vermicast and next to no bedding. Time to add a little bedding and a little food and ignore it for another month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Help ‘Spread the Worm’ and Earn!

* Get My Free Worm Business Starter Pack *

Password Reset
Please enter your e-mail address. You will receive a new password via e-mail.