As reported in one of my VermBin48 (“The Beast”) posts towards the end of December, temperatures in my winter worm food bin dropped quite a bit after I replaced some of the warm leaves/grounds/food-waste with new materials that had been sitting out in the cold (go figure, eh? lol).
Some days later, I finally got around to doing something about it. I mixed alfalfa cubes and molasses with piping hot water – creating a warm slurry – and poured it into the food bin.
What’s funny, though, that the bin had already bounced back to the nice ‘n’ toasty range by that point. I didn’t realize it until I was out there with slurry-in-hand (lol), so I figured I should just add it anyway. I added a bunch of frozen fall leaves at the same time to help balance things out a bit.
After a stretch of very mild weather (by January standards) last week – resulting in all our snow melting away – it has turned wickedly cold. I checked on the bin this morning and was pleased to see temps ranging from 25 C (77 F) to 50 C (122)! I even found a Red Worm on a piece of cardboard I have sitting at the top. I didn’t really dig around – but it would be interesting to see if a lot more worms are now moving up into the material.
In some ways I’m actually hoping for a decent stretch of “real” winter so I can at least see what this bin is capable of. So far, I’ve definitely been impressed by how warm it has remained.
I’ll keep you posted on how things pan out!