This morning I finally got around to trying out my “Super Duper Worm Food Tool” again!
(But no, that image above was not taken today! LOL)
Before putting it to work I made some modifications to the paint stirring blade – namely, I cut out a couple segments so as to (in theory) free up the motion of the blade a bit. I thought for sure that this would be a really challenging task – but was amazed by how easily my hacksaw cut through the metal!
I have been accumulating a MANY bags of frozen food waste recently, so I dumped a bunch of these into a big Rubbermaid tub. I did some initial coarse chopping (and mixing) using a trowel, before mixing in some nice warm (“living”) materials from my worm food bin (hope to post another update on that front fairly soon).
Next, I added my waste mix to the bucket (making sure to put the blade in there first).
I then snapped on the lid and gave it a whirl … literally!
Sadly, there was more whirl to the bucket itself than to the material inside – a bit underwhelming to say the least!
This tool has a LOT of potential for chopping up bulky fruit and veggie wastes – but once you start adding bedding types of material (in this case there were lots of leaves, and a fair number of wet paper towels) things can start to get gummed up.
Anyway – I decided to just dump the contents of the bucket back into the Rubbermaid tub, and then chopped and mixed it further with the trowel.
I weighed out a bunch of it and added it to The Beast. The total weight of the mix added was 18.0 lb (the rest was dumped back in the outdoor food bin) – along with ~ 1.65 lb of bedding materials as well. My aim was to create a thin layer of food across the entire surface of the uppermost newsprint layer in the bin. As you can see (second image below), my cover bedding is shredded paper. I normally limit the amount of this material I add at any one time to my systems, but I just happened to have a bag of it sitting there (calling my name! lol). I don’t foresee it creating any issues (especially given the sheer quantity of other materials already in there)
I’m expecting to see a fair amount of heating during the next week or so, even with the thin layer application. Hopefully nothing TOO crazy though!
I’ll let you know in my next “Beast” update.