In my last Worm Inn Journal update I reported on the success of my attempts at vermicomposting weeds (that had been previously frozen). Since then, the levels of material in the Inn have continued to drop while my supply of frozen food waste has gone up.
As such, I decided last week to get back into more of a typical feeding approach. Last Tuesday I added 1822 g (4.02 lb) of frozen-then-thawed food waste on top of some shredded corrugated cardboard. There were a lot of bulky materials in there, such as corn cobs, so I made sure to cut everything up a fair bit (you can see the before and after shots below). I then added my layer of “living material”, along with some newsprint over top.
Things seem to be moving along nicely with this system now. It will be interesting to see: A) how soon I will next be able to do some harvesting, and B) how the material will compare to the vermicompost removed last time.** Now is the Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $40 on CG Ultimate PRO Bundle - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **