Worm Inn Mega – 1-24-17

If you have not yet signed up for my “Fun With Worm Inns” follow-along series it will probably seem like a long time since my last update.

The good news is that things are coming along nicely with the project!

Early on I took things nice and slow. Other than the almost-negligible quantity of scraps I added during the set up process and a short time thereafter, there were only two small feedings (1.79 lb on Dec 23 & 5.39 lb of Dec 31). I was worried about a pretty serious outbreak of gnats and some form of large-bodied fruit flies in my VB48 system (since my Mega doesn’t have its screened lid anymore).

But this month has been a different ball game altogether. As you’ll learn in the video, I added 19.2 lb of food waste today alone!


IMPORTANT NOTE: In the video I said the total amount added since the beginning is 49.9 lb. That is a mistake – it is actually 42.9 lb (although maybe as much as 44 lb if the earliest feedings were included). And the “since Dec 31st” amount does include the Dec 31st feeding, just so you know.


Anyway, I am going to keep this update short – but if you do want to learn more be sure to watch the video and do sign up for the follow-along project if you have not already done so!
😎

Previous Post

Zipper Bag 4-Worm Reproduction Experiment

Next Post

VermBin48 Reboot

Comments

    • Stephanie Davis
    • January 31, 2017

    100 F is deadly for worms or so I thought. I take it that they were able to escape to the outside-cooler regions and that made it ok….
    I’ve got a full bin (nearly) of unprocessed material from my original bin. I can add that in with my feedings going forward. I keep it moist and minimally fed since there are still worms (cocoons, juvies, hatchlings, adults) in it. I can gradually transfer them over i suppose.
    Thanks Bentley

    • Bentley
    • January 31, 2017

    Hi Stephanie – yeah my approach is definitely NOT recommended for those who are fairly new to vermicomposting. The heat increases over time, and yes there is always a zone around the periphery where the temps are fine for the worms. But in my latest update (sent out to Fun With Worms group today), I explain that I’ve decided to focus once again on creating a highly optimized vermicomposting system rather than pushing the limits just so I can test out BSFL (I will “play” with them elsewhere).
    😎

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Password Reset
Please enter your e-mail address. You will receive a new password via e-mail.