This is definitely a delayed-posting, but I figured it was worth sharing nevertheless – just in case some of you are wondering what ended up happening with my small wooden flow-through bin.
Back towards the end of October I decided to take the bin outside, A) because it was infested with scuttle flies (notice a recurring theme here! lol), and B) because I wanted to dismantle it.
I finally got around to the “dismantling” stage sometime early in November, before dumping the contents into one of my outdoor beds.
It was actually really cool taking the bin apart, since I was left with a big solid mass of material (once the wood panels were lifted off) that looked like something straight out of a soil science text book!
Up near the top you could see lots of coarse materials, but then as you went further and further down it looked more and more like beautiful, rich vermicompost.
That being said, the material at the bottom (namely the newsprint “false bottom”) was essentially completely intact. In all honesty, I can’t say I’m too surprised about that, given the amount of air flow down there (drying it out)!
Although I didn’t get to test this bin out as seriously as I had planned to, I was definitely impressed with its performance as a nice, compact home vermicomposting bin.
I’m sure I will set it up again at some point once I have a bit more space for vermicomposting.
Thanks once again to Wood Worm Farms for letting me test this model out!