Red Worm Composting
Worm Composting Blog | Quick Facts| Getting Started | The Urban Worm Bag | Buy Worms | Interviews
VB24 Members | Contact | About | Newsletter | VermBin Plans | Hot Topics | EZV Course | Archives

Walnut Shell Vermicomposting?

Another “zipper bag worm bin” experiment I’ve decided to try is a system using walnut shells as a primary bedding (and maybe even food eventually) material.

I’ve been eating more nuts as part of an overall “improve my health” (which is just fine – thanks for asking – but there is always room for improvement) plan, and walnuts have become a favorite. The ones with shells on them are naturally the cheapest at the store – and in my humble opinion, the quality of the nuts inside is better – so those are the ones I tend to gravitate towards.

Being the worm-head that I am, seeing all the walnut shells piling up in my kitchen scrap bags got me wondering how they would break down (how fast etc etc) in a vermicomposting system…and that got me thinking it might be fun to test them out as a primary system material.

Obviously, like many nut shells, these things are pretty tough and resistant – almost certainly on the high end of the C:N scale. So, I’m not expecting them to get converted into beautiful worm castings in no time flat – that’s for sure.

Still, my hunch is that they will likely break down a lot more quickly than something like wood chips. And I suspect they will have some other components (eg nut fragments) that will add additional nutrition.

Whatever the case may be, it should be interesting!

All I did to get things started was put some shredded corrugated cardboard down in the bottom of a plastic zipper bag (figure having a more absorbent false bottom is not a bad idea), added a small handful of dried beans, rice a barley along with a small amount of living material, before filling the bag almost to the top with walnut shells (+ fragments etc) that I’ve been collecting.

Lastly, I just sprayed everything down well (since the shells won’t really release moisture), closed the zipper about half way and then put on my seedling heating mat.

At this point I am just going to leave the system to brew for a while. I am interesting to see what sort of decomposition processes will get going (with the help of the extra warmth). Similar to my 4 Worm Zipper Bag project, I’ll likely wait (at least) 2 weeks before actually adding any worms.

Stay tuned! Lots more to come.

Written by Bentley on January 26th, 2017 with 5 comments.
Read more articles on Home Vermicomposting.

Related articles


Read the comments left by other users below, or:

Get your own gravatar by visiting Rafael
#1. May 14th, 2017, at 7:46 AM.

Hi Bentley

Interesting experiment. Any updates?

I’d guess the shells would take a long time to break down…

Get your own gravatar by visiting Bentley
#2. May 18th, 2017, at 10:46 AM.

I have just been slammed this Spring, Rafael – so unfortunately no updates. I do need to check up on the bag at some point! lol
Thanks for the nudge

Get your own gravatar by visiting Drew
#3. September 14th, 2017, at 10:54 PM.

Any update in this Bentley?

Get your own gravatar by visiting Bentley
#4. January 12th, 2018, at 4:02 PM.

Rafael and Drew – I just posted an update relating to this topic:

Get your own gravatar by visiting Brenda
#5. March 30th, 2018, at 12:05 PM.

I’ve added pistachio shells to my worm piles. I soak them in a few water changes to get rid of the salt and mix them in with the food. They do eventually rot and disappear.

Leave your comment...

If you want to leave your comment on this article, simply fill out the next form:

You can use these XHTML tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong> .

Password Reset
Please enter your e-mail address. You will receive a new password via e-mail.