Another “zipper bag worm bin” experiment I’ve decided to try is a system using walnut shells as a primary bedding (and maybe even food eventually) material.
I’ve been eating more nuts as part of an overall “improve my health” (which is just fine – thanks for asking – but there is always room for improvement) plan, and walnuts have become a favorite. The ones with shells on them are naturally the cheapest at the store – and in my humble opinion, the quality of the nuts inside is better – so those are the ones I tend to gravitate towards.** Now is the Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $40 on CG Ultimate PRO Bundle - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **
A couple of weeks ago I wrote about my interest in testing out plastic zipper bags as “worm bins”. My first test system has been sitting on my seedling heating mat (sans worms) ever since.
Not too surprisingly, the waste materials that were added initially have broken down quite a bit, moisture has spread throughout (soaking all the dry bedding I added during set up), and – as you can see in the image above – the overall level of material has gone down a decent amount as well.
I’ve also been watching as other composting critters have been taking advantage of the (more…)
The good news is that things are coming along nicely with the project!
Early on I took things nice and slow. Other than the almost-negligible quantity of scraps I added during the set up process and a short time thereafter, there were only two small feedings (1.79 lb on Dec 23 & 5.39 lb of Dec 31). I was worried about a pretty serious outbreak of gnats and some form of large-bodied fruit flies in my VB48 system (since my Mega doesn’t have its screened lid anymore).
But this month has been a different ball game altogether. As you’ll learn in the video, I added (more…)
It’s been almost exactly two and a half years since my last VB48 update! Although I did set the system up again after that (my last post talked about cleaning out the bin), it has been used almost exclusively as a holding bin for the worm mix material I sell up here in Canada.
Seeing as it is currently my “off season”, and since I’ve been feeling pretty vermi-inspired lately, I thought it would be fun to finally start using it as a “normal” worm bin (aka Compost Guy experimental bin – so likely not normal at all! haha) once again.
The first thing I did (another day earlier in the week) was harvest a big bag of living material (in this case, A.K.A. unscreened vermicompost) for use in my Worm Inn Mega system. This was accomplished via a basic “light harvesting” approach.
You can see in the first image below that (more…)
Two of the key worm requirements I emphasize in my vermicomposting training are: 1) oxygen (aka “aeration”), and 2) darkness. So I’m sure for many of you, the idea of using a clear ziploc bag as a “worm bin” will seem questionable right off the bat.
On that note, let me start with a warning to newer vermicomposters…
Using any form of clear, plastic (or glass for that matter) container – especially one with poor air flow – as a worm bin is NOT usually recommended. Please keep in mind I’ve been doing this for a long time (17 years as I type this) and am very familiar with the nuances of the process…Aside from that, I don’t mind “messing up” every now and again, so long as it serves as a learning experience for me and my readers (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it – lol)!
With all that out of the way, let me tell you about my fun new experiment! Haha
If you are on the e-mail list, you may be aware of the fact that I have plans to try and raise Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL) indoors. I won’t get into all the details about that here (will save for another post), but the long and the short of it is that (more…)