Yet another update for you on the “Worm Inn vs Plastic Bin” front (feast or famine around here with updates, isn’t it?! lol).
I wanted to let everyone know that the stove pellets worked like a charm in the plastic bin, soaking up all the excess (pooling) liquid in the bin. The habitat now looks, and smells, much better! In light of this, I decided to start adding food to this system again.
Today I added (more…)** Now is the Time to Get Serious About Worm Composting - Save $40 on CG Ultimate PRO Bundle - Click >>Here<< to Learn More. **
This video was created by Bright Agrotech. I am in complete awe of the business, website and overall branding these guys have managed to create for themselves (and the world in general). Amazing!
In this particular video, Nate Storey talks about vermicomposting and how they use Red Worms in their recirculating aquaponics systems.
Here are just a few great reasons to use Red Worms in aquaponic growing systems:
– They reduce build up of solids via their feeding activities (helps with circulation)
– They help to increase plant-nutrient availability
– Vermicompost has growth-promoting properties that go above and beyond pure fertilizer value
– They can become a potential fish food
Another quick update for you on the “Worm Inn vs Plastic Bin” front. I decided to feed the Worm Inn again this morning, and I’ve also ended up adding more absorbent bedding to the plastic bin.
Let’s start with the Worm Inn…
Not too surprisingly, I found loads of worms up in the homemade-manure-food-waste zone that was added last week. But it looked as though it could still benefit from more moisture and potentially more food. I figured why not get both birds with one stone by adding a bunch of frozen zucchini slices. As these thaw and breakdown they should great for slow-release moisture – and of course, the worms should love munching on them as well.
The total amount added was (more…)
Yesterday I completed a partial “reboot” for my VB48 system. As touched on in my last update (see “The Beast – 05-09-13“), I’ve been using this bin primarily for growing/holding composting worms (Euros & Reds), rather than for the purpose of making/harvesting beautiful vermicompost (what the VB Series bins were primarily intended for).
That’s not to say the system hasn’t been (more…)
Continuing with my “updates” theme for this week, I figured it would only make sense to provide you with a “Stacking Bin Euros” update (NOTE: links for all previous posts below)!
This will actually be a “wrap-up” post, since I decided to dismantle the system. It has been up and running for 4 months, and – regardless of some neglect – I feel like I have a better sense for viability of using Euros in stacking bins.
The long and the short of it is that I think they can do better than I previously thought – they WILL absolutely move up the same way that Red Worms do – but their temperamental behavior can still come into play.
On at least 3 or 4 occasions I found one of them trying to squeeze out between trays (or already on the floor) – whereas there were no similar situations with Red Worms. Other than that, they seemed to adapt to life in the stacking system just fine.
Ok – let’s now have a look at what I found in the 3 trays…
Shockingly, it’s been nearly 3 months since my last “Worm Inn vs Plastic Bin” post!
(Actually, who am I kidding – I’m sure very few regular readers are “shocked”! LOL!)
There was one feeding that I didn’t write about between then and now, but yeah – this project hasn’t gone the way it was supposed to. Before I forget, here are the numbers from that feeding:
DATE: July 13th 2013
1645 g (3.63 lb) mixed food waste – bin
1986 g (4.38 lb) mixed food waste – Inn
I also added an equal amount of bedding (approximately anyway) but did not bother weighing.
Now of course – there are always some things we can learn from my stellar feats of neglect!
In particular, it has been very interesting to see (more…)
I wanted to post a quick update on my most recent “Homemade Manure” project. As you may recall, I chopped up a bunch of zucchinis and mixed them with my stove-pellet-alfalfa-cube homemade manure mix.
I had originally planned to wait a week or so before starting to use the mix – but as it turned out the zucchini ended up breaking down quite quickly, and I started putting the new HMM to good use a matter of days after creating it.
What’s cool about this mix is that even when it gets (more…)